We recommend using the root account for ESX monitoring. If the root account is not available, you can add an Uptime Infrastructure Monitor user with the following instructions:
- SSH login to the ESX system as root.
- Create your Uptime Infrastructure Monitor user: > adduser –p PASSWORD uptime
- Edit /etc/vmware/hostd/authorization.xml as shown below. You will need to:
Restart vmware-hostd: > /etc/init.d/mgmt-vmware stop > /etc/init.d/mgmt-vmware start Wait about 5 minutes for hostd to restart. Add your ESX system to Uptime Infrastructure Monitor.
- add the stanza for the new user (copy it from the vpxuser stanza and change the id and ACEDataId)
- increase the NextAceId value. ha-folder-root 10 false true -1 root ha-folder-root 11 false true -1 vpxuser ha-folder-root 12 false true -1 uptime 13